Abundant job opportunities and high earnings for cosmetologists in California has garnered national attention. In fact, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (USBLS), in May 2013:
- California held the third highest employment level for hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists in the nation
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale Division held the sixth highest employment level for hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists among metropolitan areas in the nation
- San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City was the top paying metropolitan area for hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists in the nation
Average Wages for Cosmetologists in California
To become a cosmetologist in California, personal care professionals must first obtain an occupational cosmetologist license from the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
In the 1st Quarter of 2014, the California Employment Development Department reported cosmetologists earned an average wage of $13.36/hr. Additional average wages include:
- Bottom 25% $9.17/hr.
- Median Percentile: $11.07/hr.
- Top 25% $15.07/hr.
*These wage statistics do not account for service tips by clients. Therefore, cosmetologists often earn much higher take-home pay then government figures suggest.
Average Wages for Manicurists in California
Cosmetologists that intend to perform manicurist services in California must obtain an additional occupational manicurist license from the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
During the 1st Quarter of 2014, the Employment Development Department reported manicurists earned an average wage of $9.92/hr. and an average median wage of $9.19/hr. Like cosmetologists, manicurists often receive tips along with base pay.
Salary Averages for Cosmetologists in California
In 2013, the USBLS found cosmetologists in California earning in the following salary percentiles:
- 10th Percentile: $17,700/yr.
- 25th Percentile: $18,900/yr.
- Median Percentile: $22,900/yr.
- 75th Percentile: $31,100/yr.
- 90th Percentile: $43,800/yr.
Area-Specific Pay Averages for Cosmetologists in California
In 2013, the USBLS released the following area-specific salary data for cosmetologists in California:
Area-Specific Pay Averages for Manicurists in California
In 2013, the USBLS released the following area-specific salary data for manicurists in California: